We’re always looking for ways that we can provide a superior service while at the same time minimizing the environmental footprint that we all leave behind. Even though we manage older properties mostly built without consideration for the environment that certainly does not mean that we cannot do more to reduce their footprint. Some of the programs that we have already implemented include:
- Water conservation programs at all our properties with an estimated 20-25% reduction in water usage.
- Migrating the electricity contracts at each property to use more renewable energy sources. Since 2015 we have been purchasing wind energy credits to offset 100% of the property’s electricity use. The last of the properties will complete its’ migration in summer of 2017.
[Note that tenants are free to choose their own electricity provider and source of electricity, though we encourage conversion to a sustainable energy source.]
- Our migration to purchasing wind power credits prevents more than 1.25 million pounds of Carbon Dioxide pollution (CO2), the major contributing cause of global warming.
- As a Green Power Partner (GPP) both in corporate and at each of our properties we purchase green power in amounts that meet EPA’s requirements.
- Adopt e-billing and e-payments with all vendors that provide it. Even for vendors that do not yet support ebilling, we convert paper invoices to electronic thereby replacing a “paper trail” with an “electronic trail” (for accounting purposes).
- By utilizing integrated pest management (IPM) we aim to reduce or minimize risks to human health and the environment. This is just one aspect that we use to improve Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) for our residents and guests.
- Drainage and flood control measures to help reduce local as well as down-stream flooding.
- Allow our residents to pay their rent online or create work-orders online.
- Educate and inspire staff and residents to conserve and preserve.
- Migrating towards a paperless office. Some of the side benefits of this have been easy access to documents across geographically disperse offices, faster turn-around and payment of vendor invoices, and reduce time/expense transporting paper documents.
- Recycling in corporate offices including papers and plastics, as well as printer ink and toner cartridges.
- Even our investors and property owners get involved and are encouraged to view presentations electronically rather than have us print out unnecessary copies of presentations and reports. The primary form of communications with our investors is electronic. We do not provide paper copies of any documents. If the individual investor prefers paper copies then they can elect to print out documents though it is not required.
We’re always exploring additional ways to help reduce our impact on the environment, including additional water conservation, flood reduction and control, and more.
As an EPA Green Power Partner we purchase green power in amounts that meet EPA’s requirements. We also use energy and water efficient devices whenever possible and encourage all of our residents to do the same.